1. What does Rockbrook look for when hiring counselors?– Each year we hire a diverse staff who, with their personalities, backgrounds and talents, can serve as positive role models for our campers, teach the different activities offered at camp, and offer real enthusiasm for camp life. We look for staff members who want to join our camp community, make many new friends, and work hard to benefit the girls who attend camp.
2. How old do you have to be to work at Rockbrook?– Counselors must be 18 years of age and have completed one year of college or equivalent experience. Also, Rockbrook hires a small number of Counselors in Training (CITs) to assist in a cabin. CITs have completed their junior year of high school.
3. Do I have to be a previous camper to apply to work at Rockbrook?– No, we encourage anyone who has had experience working with children and loves the outdoors to apply to work at Rockbrook. Each summer we have many returning counselors, but we also have almost the same number of new ones who bring their own wonderful energy and experiences to our program.
4. How many staff members are hired each summer?– Each summer we hire about 60 cabin counselors to work at camp. In addition to the counselors, we also hire other day staff, nurses, and program staff each summer.
5. Does Rockbrook hire international staff members?– Yes, but only on a limited basis, and those international staff members hired make their application through a camp counselor placement service like Camp Counselors USA.
6. How old are the campers at Rockbrook?– Rockbrook campers range from ages 6-16. They are divided into three age groups: Juniors (Kindgergarten-4th grade), Middlers (5th & 6th grade), and Seniors (7th-9th grade).
7. What is the salary for a Rockbrook counselor?– The starting salary for a cabin counselor at Rockbrook is competitive with other girls camps in our area. The base salary can increase according to your age, education, responsibilities, skills, and experience. A great perk to working at camp is that your room, board and laundry are included during the time you work, so you can really save a lot of money during the summer.
8. When do counselors get paid?– Staff members are paid at the end of their contracted work period. However, if you need an advance during the summer, we can easily arrange that.
9. Does Rockbrook cover travel expenses?– Generally, the cost of getting to Rockbrook is the responsibility of each staff member. However, we do help pay for travel if you are coming from a great distance (and needing to fly, for example).
10. Do counselors have to work all summer?– We prefer to hire counselors who can work all of our sessions. However, we understand that with college and other commitments, being free to work all summer may be impossible. In general, we hire counselors who can work for at least two of the three sessions. CITs are hired for one session only.
11. What is the interview/hiring process like for counselors?– As soon as we receive your application and reference letters, we will call you to set up an interview. While we prefer in-person interviews, we often conduct interviews over the phone. We hope the interview helps us get to know you, but also helps you learn more about Rockbrook. We really want to answer all your questions!
12. Am I right for Rockbrook?– Are you a high energy person who likes to stay busy? Are you outgoing and friendly? Do you find it easy and enjoyable to be with children? Are you comfortable in a rustic, outdoor setting? Are you a little bit goofy or silly at heart? If so, then you’ll fit right in at Rockbrook and absolutely love it.
13. How do I apply?– It’s easy! Just click follow the instructions on this page.