Continuing our series of archival photos and documents, today we have this; it’s an original application to attend Rockbrook from 1921, its very first year. That summer, girls attended for one long session that lasted 8 weeks between July 6th and August 31st. This application shows that Elizabeth Fisher from Hackensack, NJ was one of 35 girls who traveled to Brevard to be the very first Rockbrook campers. So neat!
We recently found another Rockbrook photograph during our search of the archives at The Transylvania County Library. In their records they had this photo of the original tennis courts at The Carrier House. The Carrier House or Rockbrook House as it is now known was the home of the owners and directors of Rockbrook, Henry and Nancy Carrier. Here at their house many camp activities were offered including tennis and lawn dancing. Tennis was a popular activity from the beginning of camp and quickly outgrew this first court as the number of campers increased. In the late 1920’s two more courts were added and then ultimately three more courts were built. This original court was removed from The Carrier House lawn and was turned into a beautiful side porch. Note the small boxwood hedge in the background of the picture, those same boxwoods are now over 9 feet tall! Here is a previous blog post that tells you more about our current tennis program.